You are currently viewing The top reasons why electrical fires happen

“When working with members of your community on fire and life safety, it is important to teach the common causes of electrical fires. Here are the 5 most common causes of electrical fires.

Electrical fire cause 1: Faulty outlets, appliances. Most electrical fires are caused by faulty electrical outlets and old, outdated appliances. Other fires are started by faults in appliance cords, receptacles and switches.

Electrical fire cause 2: Light fixtures. Light fixtures, lamps and light bulbs are another common reason for electrical fires. Installing a bulb with a wattage that is too high for the lamps and light fixtures is a leading cause of electrical fires.

Electrical fire cause 3: Extension cords. Misuse of extension cords is another electrical fire cause. Appliances should be plugged directly into outlet and not plugged into an extension cord for any length of time.”

Read more about electrical fire causes here.

Rounding out the final two top reasons for electrical fires are space heaters and wiring. Space heaters, of course, are well-known to have caused fires due to their hot coils igniting flammable objects. Bad wiring, on the other hand, is something that homeowners likely won’t know about until it is too late. This might be due to the wiring being outdated or proper safety protocols not being followed.

At MJ Electric, we perform home rewiring by code for safety and reliability. If you need work done at your home please call us at 612-598-0793 to schedule service.